Language abilities play an important role in the acquisition of mathematical skills, and children with language disorders can often have difficulties with mathematical tasks. The teaching of mathematical knowledge and skills is a focus at the Fremantle LDC.
The effective teaching of mathematics includes the following:
- explicit, systematic instruction
- the use of concrete manipulatives
- moving from the concrete to the abstract
- differentiated learning experiences to meet individual student’s learning needs
- high impact teaching strategies
- retrieval practice
- explicit teaching of the language of mathematics.